Friday 20 June 2014

Sesame Covered Carrot Fries, with a Sweet & Spicy Sauce.

I’ve noticed lately that I have started eating vegetables that I never would have touched as a child, even last year I was still sceptical of these vegetables and would avoid them at all costs – now I eat them with enjoyment and look forward to my next recipe experimentation with the vegetable. Carrots were one of those vegetables I just couldn’t get my taste buds to appreciate – until this week. This week I have eaten carrots twice, twice with the same ingredients, and twice with different variations – I must be getting adventurous in my old age because both times I found them delicious, and I’m not just saying it.  

So what did I make? Well, today I made carrot fries. I know what you’re all thinking, I thought the same thing when I saw vegetable fries doing the rounds on Instagram – they’re not potato fries. I’m not entirely sure whether the vegetable fries are supposed to be healthy versions of potato fries - I know they’re fries but they taste nothing like potatoes – obviously. So do people eat these instead of potato fries? I guess I’ll have to do more research. I on the other hand have started experimenting with vegetable fries because I’m a vegetarian and new meal ideas are always welcome to a vegetarian table - although, if I wanted potato fries I would make those too – I see nothing wrong with it.

Sesame Covered Carrot , with a Sweet & Spicy Sauce.
Like every single recipe I ever make, this was simple and quick – I had it for lunch and it took me about 20 minutes to prepare and cook. I actually love how the natural sweetness of the carrots tasted when combined with the sweet and spicy sauce, it was a completely different taste to my Carrot and Parsnip Kinpira - even though the ingredients were the same - minus the parsnip. 

Ingredients – Carrot Fries
  • Chunky Carrots
  • 1 tbsp – Sesame Seeds
  • Coconut or Sesame oil


Instructions

Peel your carrots and cut them into sticks, place them in a bowl with the sesame seeds and oil – if you use coconut oil, make sure to melt it first. Combine the ingredients and place them on a lined baking tray, and pop them into the oven for 20 minutes at 200c. 



IngredientsSweet & Spicy Sauce
  • 3 tbsp Gluten free Soy Sauce
  • 1 tsp - Pure Honey
  • 100ml Water
  • Chilli
  • Coriander
  • Garlic Clove
  • Ginger

Instructions

Place everything into a saucepan and bring to the boil for 2 minutes, then let the sauce reduce on a low heat until it’s to your desired consistency.

Told you it was simple didn't I?

Now plate up and enjoy. 

Hwyl Fawr
The Hungry Welsh Girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment