Wednesday 18 June 2014

Carrot & Parsnip Kinpira

I remember someone suggesting Carrot Kinpira to me last year, as another vegetarian dish which I could try, but back then vegetables were the last thing I wanted to eat - bread, pasta, and everything except vegetables were what I preferred.

Today however I was stuck for dinner ideas, when I remembered the Carrot Kinpira suggestion, and I just had to try it. Usually I'm not one for carrots, I never liked them growing up and hated them even more throughout my adulthood - until today that is. Today I discovered that carrots aren't the most disgusting vegetable ever grown, I learned that I do in fact like carrots and that this recipe could end up being a firm favourite of mine, both to eat and to experiment with.

Carrot & Parsnip Kinpira
For those of  you who are wondering what Kinpira is, it is basically a Japanese cooking style, which is commonly used to saute, or simmer root vegetables. However, I used my cast iron pan to make this Carrot and Parsnip Kinpira but I think a wok would work much better.

Yield  - 1 Serving 
Ingredients 
  • Carrot 
  • Parsnip
  • Sesame Seed Oil 
  • 1 tbls - Sesame Seeds
  • Garlic Clove 
  • Ginger 
  • Chilli, or Chilli Powder
  • 1 tbls - Soy Sauce 
  • 1 tsp - Honey 
  • Himalayan Salt 
Instructions 

Before you start heating the wok you will need to peel some carrots and parsnips with a sharp vegetable peeler, next you will need to julienne the vegetables. There are a few ways to julienne the vegetables, you can manually cut the vegetables into thin, matchsticks, you can use a spiralizer, or a julienne peeler - this is the method I use and its really simple and quick - just watch those fingers. 
Julienned Carrots & Parsnips
When your vegetables are all peeled and julienned, heat a frying pan, or wok with the sesame seed oil, and toss in some crushed garlic and ginger, and saute for a few seconds.

Now you can add in your vegetables and saute them until they are tender, but with some crunch, then add in the; Sesame seeds, Chilli powder, Soy sauce, Salt and Honey, and combine with all the vegetables. 

Plate up in your favourite bowl and enjoy - you could even use a pair of chopsticks for that extra bit of fun.

The Hungry Welsh Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment