Monday 16 June 2014

Aubergine & Red Pesto, Courgette Parcels.

A few weeks ago I came across a post on Pinterest that interested me - low carb ravioli are what the people of the low carb community are calling them - I however, prefer to call them courgette parcels, since they resemble ravioli as much as I resemble Marilyn Monroe - trust me it ain't happening! Courgettes and pasta are two completely different textures and more importantly - one is a vegetable and the other is a... Well pasta - so they are incomparable.

This recipe was definitely something different to experiment with and also something new for my taste buds - which all vegetarians will agree, can be tough to keep the ole taste buds excited - right? The only downfall I found with the courgette parcels were that they seemed a bit of a fuss to make - and I'm quite lazy when it comes to fuss. Nonetheless I put on my big girl pants and gave it ago - and I'm pleased to announce that they were a great success.

Aubergine & Red Pesto, Courgette Parcels.
Although, I wasn't expecting much from the courgette parcels - I mean I did find them on Pinterest - rarely anything goes to plan from there, but this idea did and they are now a firm favourite of mine, and also paired with a nice sauce they make a perfect light lunch.
 For this recipe I made a quick tomato sauce and combined it with some vegetarian 'meat' leftovers from the previous nights dinner to top the courgette parcels off with. I thoroughly enjoyed them - the best part - it only took me 30 mins to prepare, cook and inhale. What more could you possible ask for? 

Before I give you the recipe, I will say that these courgette parcels need a decent size courgette in order to make nicely sized parcels. However, I did use a scrawny one with my initial attempt and it worked - they were just on the small size. The courgette also needs to be firm, with no soggy parts, otherwise when you cut the courgette the slices will rip - although you can still use the ripped slices, I jut prefer them whole - can you tell I'm OCD? 

Anyway, I think that's enough jabbering - now for the recipe. 

Yield - 4 Servings 
Ingredients - Courgette Parcels 
  • 1/2 Courgette 
  • 1/2 Aubergine 
  • 1 tbsp - Red Pesto 
  • 1 tbsp - Olive Oil 
  • Basil 
Instructions 

With a vegetable peeler slice the courgette parcels from top to bottom, to make thin, flat slices 
Dice your Aubergine into small chunks - you can use as much Aubergine, or courgette as you please - I'm just going by my own measurements - then place the Aubergine into a blender and mince until it resembles cous cous.
While your Aubergine is blending, heat a non stick - or cast iron pan with a little oil and fry off the Aubergine with some Himalayan salt.

NB: if you use a cast iron pan for this step - do not add the pesto to your pan if it has any acidic ingredients, as this will take the seasoning off your pan and your food will be ruined. 

Next criss cross, or hash-tag your courgette parcels and place the Aubergine mixture into the centre of the courgette hash tag

Courgette Hashtag, with Aubergine Filling
 Now fold in all the sides until you have a nice, little parcel - this can take some time as it is a bit tricky and it did take me a few goes until I cracked it - I was never very good with celtic patterns at school either.
Aubergine & Red Pesto, Courgette Parcel
When your done, place them folded side down on an oiled baking tray - and brush them with the remainder of your olive oil. You can now bake them for 15-20 mins on 180-200c

Aubergine & Red Pesto, Courgette Parcels.
Now that your courgette parcels are in the oven and on their way to pure deliciousness, you can make the sauce. 

This vegetarian meat sauce recipe can easily be made for meat lovers - just simply add the mince meat of your choice - I used Quorn mince for this part, as it's the only meat substitute I have found that isn't made with soya products.

Ingredients - 'Meat Sauce' 
  • 1/4 - Red Onion 
  • 100g Quorn Mince - or any other mince 
  • 200g - Tomatoes 
  • 1/4 can of Chopped Tomatoes 
  • Basil 
  • Cinnamon 
  • Garlic 
  • Italian Seasoning 
  • Olive Oil 
NB - Again you can use any amount of the above ingredients I used this for a stuffed Aubergine recipe and had about 3 servings from it 

Instructions 

Bring a pan of water to the boil and add your tomatoes - when the skins start to burst take them out and let them cool in cold water, or at room temperature - but please be careful! 

Heat a non stick pan with the olive oil, garlic and diced red onions. When the onions start to turn transparent you can add in your meat - if you use real meat then remove the onions until your meat is cooked then simply return them to the pan.

By now your tomatoes should be cool enough to handle, so just rip of that skin and add them to your pan with a little water, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, cinnamon and whichever other herbs you want to use.

The tomatoes should reduce into a sauce consistency, however I added some from a can too for a richer and thicker sauce. 

NB: If your using a cast iron pan then put the tomatoes in a frying pan - as the tomato juice will take off your pan seasoning and ruin your food - annoying isn't it? 

Your courgette parcels should be cooked and all you have to do now is top with your sauce, a little cream cheese, or even Parmesan - I used cream cheese because I didn't have any Parmesan - first world problems eh?

Now all you have to do is enjoy - which you will, trust me!!

The Hungry Welsh Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment